Are CDL licenses transferable from state to state?

Such question “Can my CDL transfer to another state?” can appear in your mind when you deliver orders across the country. Unfortunately, a CDL cannot be transferred from state to state if you decide to move. If a driver has a personal license (Class D) in one state and receives CDL license in a new state, the former personal license will become invalid. Any commercial driver cannot have two driver’s licenses at the same time.

Since truck driving is an extremely attractive career and allows traveling through many states a week, you can see yourself living in a different state. If you decide to change your home place, you need to transfer your CDL to your new residing state.

Does CDL Transfer from State to State?

CDL can’t transfer to another state. But if you want to leave for another state you will have to transfer your CDL to the new state.

CDL license will need to be turned into a new state and you will have to get a new CDL with the state that you have moved to.

Having received your CDL in your new state, you are not allowed to use your personal driver’s license or former commercial driver’s license any further. It’s against the law to possess two driver’s licenses (CDL and your personal driver’s license).

Most states require you to change your former CDL into new one within 30 to 60 days of becoming a resident. But some states require only doing so before your current license expires. If you don’t change your license within the specific time period of your new state you will risk having your license revoked or receiving a ticket.

How Can I Transfer My CDL To A New State?

The specific requirements to transfer your CDL to a new state are different depending on the state. But the transferal process of CDL is easy and convenient. Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the state that you want your CDL to be transferred to. If you want to transfer your CDL online, you may find a form that you will need to fill out in order to complete the transfer of CDL. So, you need to expect when transferring CDL:

  • You will have to present proof of your new address where you are moving to (a vehicle registration, an electricity bill, a contract or a lease on an apartment or a house, bank statement, etc.).
  • You will be required by some states to pass the CDL tests and you will need to pay a testing fee too. Usually, the written part of the CDL test is required to transfer your commercial drivers’ license to a new state. A medical examination letter or certificate will need to be provided. Such documentations state that you are medically able to drive a commercial vehicle. The DMV doesn’t accept medical documents that are over a year old.
  • Depending on the state you may need to take a road sign exam along with a driving exam.
  • You need to provide a clean background and a fingerprint check if you will be also applying for a HAZMAT endorsement with the change of your CDL.
  • You must pay all of the transfer and testing fees and surrender your old CDL.
  • Transfer your CDL to your new state within 30 to 60 days of your new residency.
  • You have thirty to sixty days to transfer your CDL to your new state. Each state differs from other, so contact your DMV to find out the exact days for transferring your CDL.

Can I Take My CDL Test In A Different State?

Unfortunate, you are not allowed to take CDL test in a different state. You must take your CDL test in the state that you reside in. Before taking CDL test you will need to provide the state where you reside, your social security card, and your birth certificate or your green card when you are going to be taking your CDL test.

After passing your CDL tests you will give your original (regular) driver’s license to the Department of Motor Vehicles. To get your CDL you will also need to surrender your original driver’s license because the CDL is the only driving license you will have.

Do I Need CDL To Cross State Lines?

To cross state lines you need to have CDL and be over the age of 21.

It allows truck drivers to cross state lines just as a regular driver’s license.

As a commercial driver you don’t need to obtain a CDL for each state that they are driving in. In 1986 the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act allowed truck drivers not to possess multiple CDL’s for each state that they will be driving in.

If you are less than twenty-one years of age you are not allowed to cross state lines with your CDL.